The bill is jaw-dropping. David Devine was charged a whopping $1.188 million by the hospital who treated his son for a snake bite.
His son, 10-year-old Dominic Devine, has autism. One summer night, the family was visiting his grandparents at Lake Mathews. Unable to recognize the danger, Dominic picked up a rattle snake and waved around in the air.
The snake bit him on the thigh. His grandparents immediately took him to the hospital. With the anti-venom treatment, Dominic quickly recovered.
However, when David received the bill, he could not believe what the simple antidote cost.
“My reaction to the cost is I can literally sell my house in Redondo Beach that I’ve worked my whole life for and have it paid off in full… and I would still owe that hospital $250,000,” David told Fox 11.
Each vial of anti-venom costs $14,000. On average, a patient will need 18 to 24 vials. In Dominic’s case, there was a clerical error that brought the charge up. The hospital reduced it to $511,825.01. Then they realized there was another mistake and reduced it to $350,000.
David would have to pay around $8,000 as a co-pay, but because they troubled him wrong, they finally waived the fee.
Have you ever had any issues with your insurance company? Let us know in the comments!
Please SHARE if you’re glad David fought to get his bill reduced and the hospital acknowledged the error!